5 Things You Should Immediately Get Rid of After A Breakup
No breakup is easy unless you’re the one doing the breaking, or already have a nice piece of somebody waiting for you on the other end. Bad breakups especially – because good ones, believe it or not, do exist – are the hardest. So how does one properly handle a “bad breakup?” Well..
According to Swiss-American Psychiatrist Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, there are five stages of grief; 1) denial, 2) anger, 3) bargaining, 4) depression and 5) acceptance. She first introduced these in her 1969 book, “On Death and Dying, “ which was inspired by her work with terminally ill patients (in case you were wondering). While it’s taken some a recorded 365+ days to get over a past lover, it can take you a lot less and here’s how. I’ve come up with five things one needs to get rid of after a bad breakup; you know, in order to expedite the process and all. Anyway, check ‘em out.
1) Clothing: Every woman owns an over-sized pair of basketball shorts. Get rid of them. If you’re noble enough to return them to their rightful owner – more power to you – but if not, burn them. Whatever you do, just don’t keep them. There’s nothing like carrying an old pair of basketball shorts into a new relationship. Men, I can only hope you’re not holding onto anything of hers..
2) Memorabilia: This includes photos (and yes nudes count) as well as any random trinket given to you by your ex. There’s no need to have things that remind you of an open wound lying around the house. So, that cute Polaroid you guys took last summer? Chuck it. Oh, and the selfies in your phone…DELETE.
3) Contact Information: I’m a strong advocate in removing all personal contact information after a bad breakup. This includes phone numbers, e-mail addresses and text threads. We tend to mourn by looking over past conversations after a breakup and that’s just not healthy. Let it go. Remove temptation from your reach and let life’s harsh realities hit you.
4) Mutual Friends: This may be hard because you’ve grown accustomed to the usual hangouts and companions – like in “That 70’s Show” – except it’s real life. However, if they were originally his/her friend and vice-versa, things are to remain that way after the breakup. In other words, you’re friends will take your side and his/hers will take theirs. Unfair maybe, but truthful. Oh yea, and make sure to stay away from his/her family members too. It’s okay, mom will get over the breakup…eventually.
5) 10 lbs: Last, but not least, it is imperative that one must look the par after a breakup; a bad breakup especially. The truth of the reality is that a lot of us let ourselves go – some more than others – during relationships. With they honey moon phase being over, lovers typically no longer feel the need to impress one another. ERRRRR. That’s so not the right thing to do FYI. Get it right, get it tight and KEEP it that way…
So, there you have it my heart broken hearted butterflies; the secret. Care to disagree or have a few more suggestions? Drop a comment below and let me know how you feel.