Posted October 26, 2013 by DJ Enuff in News

Officials: Bronx Fire Came A Day After Power To The Apartment Was Cut [Photo]



According to CNN News “A fire that swept through a Bronx apartment, killing three young brothers, was caused by a candle in the kitchen area and occurred a day after the power company cut off electricity for unpaid bills, officials said Saturday.

“The account had a significant amount of arrears — well into the thousands of dollars,” Consolidated Edison spokesman Allan Drury told CNN. “We try to avoid turning service off to customers. We’ll put them on payment plans to work with them to avoid turnoff, but this account had substantial arrears.”

Fire marshals have determined that the fire was accidental, said FDNY spokesman Daniel Glover.

The boys — Elijah Artis, 5; Jeremiah Artis, 2; and Michael Turner, 4 months — were declared dead on arrival at Lincoln Medical Center, police said.

CNN affiliate WABC reported that their mother and two sisters — ages 4 years and 4 months — were treated for smoke inhalation.

Three other people suffered injuries and were taken to a hospital, the fire department said.

The fire broke out just before 8 p.m. in a six-story apartment complex on West 165th Street near Anderson Avenue, Glover told CNN. It was declared under control at about 9:30 p.m.”



[CNN News article by Laura Ly and Tom Watkins]

[Photo: New York Daily News Kendall Rodriguez]