0
Posted August 30, 2013 by DJ Enuff in News
 
 

Bubonic Plague Outbreak Feared in Central Asia [Photo]

A Marmot. Temirbek Isakunov reportedly died from bubonic plague after eating a marmot

The above picture is that of a Marmot, believed to have lead to the death of a 15-year-old boy after eating the infected animal. An additional three more people who came into contact with the infected 15-year-old were admitted to a hospital in Kyrgyzstan. The admitted patients displayed high fever and swelling around the neck and armpits, characteristic of bubonic plague. A total of 131 people, including 33 medical personnel, have been quarantined, although none of them have yet to exhibit symptoms of the disease. The bacteria responsible for bubonic plague are typically transmitted from rodents to humans via flea bites, but can also be contracted through direct contact with infected tissue.